The Boeing Company [NYSE:BA] is making digital projection of full-length motion pictures a reality with the installation of the Boeing Digital Cinema systems in markets across the United States and in London.
Moviegoers will consistently enjoy clear images, free of all the defects typically associated with 35-millimeter film such as scratches, dirt, mechanical jumps and other degradation. The Boeing system, which utilizes satellite, fiber optics and physical media technologies, will be installed in 23 theatres by next week. Other theatre locations will be announced as systems are installed.
"Digital Cinema will give theatres using the Boeing system a competitive marketing advantage and attract more moviegoers because every showing of a digital movie will be as sharp and full of detail as the first viewing," said Frank Stirling, executive director, Boeing Digital Cinema, part of Boeing Space and Communications (S&C), a business unit of The Boeing Company. "This brings the cinematic experience closer to what was actually shot during filming. Moviegoers will see and hear the film the way the filmmaker intended."
Boeing Digital Cinema allows the secure delivery of a single movie file to thousands of theatres around the world. The system provides secure end-to-end transmission using encryption technology that has been endorsed by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) for protection of commercial and government information. From encryption upon receipt of content to decryption at projection in designated theatres, Boeing's end-to-end multi-layered security system ensures protection at each step of the process and reduces risk of film piracy.
Theatres that are installing Boeing Digital Cinema include:
- Dickinson: Northrock 14, Wichita, Kan.
- Emagine: Cinema Hollywood, Birch Run, Mich.
- Loews: Boston Commons, Boston, Mass.; Magic Johnson, Los Angeles, Calif.; McClurg Court, Chicago, Ill.; Sony Metreon, San Francisco, Calif.; Star Theatre, Southfield, Mich.; Universal Cineplex Odeon, Universal City, Calif.
- Malco: Cordova Cinema, Memphis, Tenn.; Majestic 20, Memphis, Tenn.; Malco Town Cinema, Rogers, Ark.
- Oasis: Ritzy, London, U.K.
- Ritz: Ritz Theatre, Big Spring, Texas
- UltraStar: UltraStar Chula Vista, Chula Vista, Calif.; UltraStar Del Mar Highlands 8, San Diego, Calif.; UltraStar LaCosta 6, Carlsbad, Calif.; UltraStar Poway Creekside, Poway, Calif.
- Vulcan: Cinerama, Seattle, Wash.
Additional theater locations will be posted at the Boeing Digital Cinema web site www.boeing.com.
Boeing Space and Communications (S&C), headquartered in Seal Beach, Calif., is the world's largest space and communications company. A unit of The Boeing Company, S&C provides integrated solutions in launch services, human space flight and exploration, missile defense, and information and communications. It is NASA's largest contractor; a leading provider of space-based communications; the primary systems integrator for U.S. missile defense; and a leading provider of intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance. The global enterprise has customers worldwide and manufacturing operations throughout the United States and Australia.